A passive effect is an effect that is applied as a part of a larger action, or is present throughout the game. They grant added bonuses, some of which directly increase base stats, and may require activation or a condition to be met.
There are currently three different ways to acquire passive effects in the game. The first is from champion abilities. Each innate ability has a passive effect, but some champions have an additional ability (or abilities) that grants a boost passively (ex. 20px Ashe's Hawkshot Hawkshot or 20px Xin Zhao's Battle Cry Battle Cry).
The second source is from items. When purchased, these items will grant the wearer increased stats and effects while owned. These passive effects may change as through the build path, but usually remain consistent (ex. ).
The third source is from global map effects. These include the Crystal Scar map in the Dominion game mode, Proving Grounds map in ARAM game-type, the Twisted Treeline altar buffs, and the URF Mode buff. This passive effect applies to all players from the start to the end of the game.
There are several different types of passive effects, aside from the usual defensive, offensive or utility. These mainly are:
- Constant passives, these effects are persistent throughout the game no matter what action is taken. They include innate abilities, and both Crystal Scar and Proving Grounds passive bonuses.
- Restrained passives, these are in effect until a certain action is taken that temporarily disables them. For example Wuju Style Wuju Style and Raise Morale Raise Morale.
- Stacking passives, these passives have an effect which increases each time a certain action is performed. For example 20px Jax's Relentless Assault Relentless Assault, 20px Kayle's Holy Fervor Holy Fervor, and .
- Aura passives, these passives have a small area of effect that affect allies and or foes. For example 20px Heimerdinger's Techmaturgical Repair Bots Techmaturgical Repair Bots.
- Buffing passives, these passives increase stats such as attack damage from .
- De-buffing passives, these passives decrease stats such as magic resist from and attack speed from .